By making use of sipdigestleak.py which is included in VOIPPACK, one can automate the process of getting the phone to ring, obtaining a challenge response and performing a brute-force attack. In this tutorial we shall be looking at how this module makes the whole process an easy task.
1. An IP Phone (victim) is listening on port 5060, accepting phone calls
2. The attacker sends an INVITE to the IP Phone
3. The victim phone starts ringing and someone picks up and hangs up (because no one answers the phone at the other end)
4. When the phone is hung up, the victim phone sends a BYE to the attacker
5. The attacker issues a 407 response that asks for authentication and issues an authentication challenge
6. The victim phone provides a response to the authentication challenge in a second BYE
7. The attacker can then issue a brute-force attack on the challenge response on his local machine (or distributed network etc) and guess the password.
The entire tutorial is available as a PDF here.
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.