"We believe there are clear indicators that the existing role of technology management will evolve in a few short years to a set of roles that includes management of innovation, information intelligence, customer experience, and digital business presence. It's going to be an exciting decade," commented Fred Magee, Adjunct Research Advisor with IDC's Research Network.
He, along with several other analysts, predicts that:
- In two years, over 70% of CIOs will change their primary role from directly managing IT to become an innovation partner.
- Before 2017, only 40% of CIOs will rise to the challenge from CxOs to partner in strategic planning.
- 70% of CIOs will increase enterprise exposure to risk.
- Enterprise business mobility will require 60% of CIOs by 2017 to support an agile architecture.
- The demographic shift to young and mobile customers will require 80% of CIOs in consumer-facing businesses to integrate IT with public social networks by 2015.
- By 2015, 3rd Platform requirements will drive 60% of CIOs to use enterprise architecture (EA) as a required IT tool, but only 40% will deploy EA effectively.
- By 2015, 60% of CIO security budgets for increasingly vulnerable legacy systems will be 30-40% too small to fund enterprise threat assessments.
- By 2017, the transfer of 3rd Platform investments from IT to line-of-business budgets will require 60% of CIOs to reduce the cost of infrastructure and operations.
- By 2016, 80% of the IT budget will be based on providing service integration.
- By 2018, adoption of 3rd Platform IT technologies will redefine 90% of IT roles.
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.