Nmap uses raw IP packets in novel ways to determine what hosts are available on the network, what services (application name and version) those hosts are offering, what operating systems (and OS versions) they are running, what type of packet filters/firewalls are in use, and dozens of other characteristics.
Nmap 6.40 includes:
- 14 new NSE scripts
- hundreds of new OS and service detection signatures
- a new --lua-exec feature for scripting Ncat
- initial support for NSE and version scanning through a chain of proxies
- improved target specification
- many performance enhancements and bug fixes.
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.