Nmap uses raw IP packets in novel ways to determine what hosts are available on the network, what services (application name and version) those hosts are offering, what operating systems (and OS versions) they are running, what type of packet filters/firewalls are in use, and dozens of other characteristics.
Nmap 6.40 includes:
- 14 new NSE scripts
- hundreds of new OS and service detection signatures
- a new --lua-exec feature for scripting Ncat
- initial support for NSE and version scanning through a chain of proxies
- improved target specification
- many performance enhancements and bug fixes.