5G WiFi, the 5th generation of Wi-Fi based on the IEEE 802.11ac standard, is an evolutionary step from the existing 802.11a/b/g/n networks. 5G WiFi improves the wireless range in the home, allowing consumers to watch HD-quality video from more devices, in more places, simultaneously.
With 3X faster speeds, consumers can download web content from a mobile device, and synch large files such as videos, in a fraction of the time it would take on a similar 802.11n device. Since 5G WiFi transfers the same volume of data at a much faster rate, devices enter low-power mode quickly and, as a result, are up to six times more power efficient than equivalent 802.11n solutions.
The new BCM4335 integrates a complete, single-stream 5G WiFi system — including the MAC, PHY and RF — with Bluetooth 4.0, FM radio and software on a single silicon die. The platform-agnostic design and integration of the MAC, PHY and RF allows the BCM4335 to be added to any smartphone or tablet regardless of the application processor used. Designed in 40nm CMOS process, the new chips are smaller and more power efficient, giving customers more design freedom.
- The BCM4335 features the industry's most advanced idle power consumption performance, which significantly extends a mobile device's battery life
- Broadcom's TurboQAM technology implements the highest data-rate 256-QAM mode in 2.4 GHz and enables devices equipped with the BCM4335 to deliver 10 percent faster throughputs than 802.11n speeds when communicating with other 5G WiFi devices
- Key high-throughput mobility interfaces, including SDIO 3.0, PCIe and HSIC, make it suitable for smartphone, tablet and computing platforms
- PHY rates of 433 Mb/s significantly boost the wireless throughput compared to previous generation wireless solutions
- Advanced beamforming, Low-Density Parity Check (LDPC) code and Space-Time Block Code (STBC) support for better coverage and more reliable connectivity
- Built-in media processing to off-load host processor
- Integrated support for Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Passpoint technologies.