Former Ubuntu Forum administrator Matthew Helmke covers all you need to know about Ubuntu 11.10/12.04 installation, configuration, productivity, multimedia, development, system administration, server operations, networking, virtualization, security, DevOps, and more - including intermediate-to-advanced techniques you won’t find in any other book.
Helmke presents up-to-the-minute introductions to Ubuntu’s key productivity and Web development tools, programming languages, hardware support, and more.
You’ll find brand-new coverage of the new Unity desktop, new NoSQL database support and Android mobile development tools, and many other Ubuntu 11.10/12.04 innovations. Whether you’re new to Ubuntu or already a power user, you’ll turn to this book constantly: for new techniques, new solutions, and new ways to do even more with Ubuntu.
- Quickly install Ubuntu, configure it, and get your hardware running right
- Configure and customize the new Unity desktop (or alternatives such as GNOME)
- Get started with multimedia and productivity applications, including LibreOffice
- Manage Linux services, users, and software packages
- Administer and use Ubuntu from the command line
- Automate tasks and use shell scripting
- Provide secure remote access
- Manage kernels and modules
- Administer file, print, email, proxy, LDAP, and database services (both SQL and NoSQL)
- Use both Apache and alternative HTTP servers
- Support and use virtualization
- Use Ubuntu in cloud environments
- Learn the basics about popular programming languages including Python, PHP, and Perl, and how to use Ubuntu to develop in them
- Learn how to get started developing Android mobile devices.
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.