DOD gives interim wireless guidance
The Defense Department has decided to delay issuing its final security policies on restricting wireless devices in order to seek additional comments on the proposed rules, a DOD spokesman said.
Defense Department chief information officer John Stenbit has signed off on an "interim guidance" memo that went to the service secretaries and the directors of DOD agencies last week.
The assistant secretary of Defense for command, control, communications and intelligence will gather feedback and release the final security directive once a review of it is complete, the DOD spokesman said Aug. 23. He said that there is no specific time frame for closing the comment period.
DOD would not release a copy of the interim guidance, but it did release a "DOD wireless strategy information sheet."
[ Read more ]
- News: Alberta hackers gear up for International War Driving Day (22 August 2002)
- News: A New AES Standard For Wireless (21 August 2002)
- News: Wireless Security Blackpaper (21 August 2002)
- News: A map of wireless controversy? (21 August 2002)
- News: Wireless hackers take to the air (19 August 2002)
- News: Wireless Security and Hacking (19 August 2002)
- News: Secure wireless workers (16 August 2002)
- News: Advancing Wireless LAN Security (8 August 2002)
- News: Wireless Security: An IP VPN Conspiracy Theory (5 August 2002)
- News: Wi Fi Honeypots a new hacker trap (29 July 2002)
- News: Hackers use Wi-Fi invisibility cloak (25 July 2002)
- News: Wireless (in)security: are your networks snoop-proof? (24 July 2002)
- News: Security concerns loom in new wireless world (22 July 2002)
- News: Wi-Fi hackers are stealing bandwidth (17 July 2002)
- News: Where wireless is most vulnerable (2 July 2002)
- News: Network America: Wireless security? Read it and Wep (28 June 2002)
- News: Wireless security in this modern world (26 June 2002)
- News: Cisco augments wireless LAN security (18 June 2002)
- News: Hottest hardware for Wi-Fi security (17 June 2002)
- News: IBM software aims to shut down "drive-by hacking" (17 June 2002)
- News: Startup takes on WLAN security (3 June 2002)
- News: Odyssey makes wireless LANs a safe trip (22 May 2002)
- News: Could hackers derail wireless LANs? (17 May 2002)
- News: Protecting the WLAN (13 May 2002)
- News: Wireless Internet (6 May 2002)
- News: Wireless (In)Security (3 May 2002)
- News: WLANS to Get More Secure (29 April 2002)
- News: Security exhibitors set up insecure WLANs (24 April 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.