Lock spam and viruses out of Sendmail
Sendmail 8.9, the latest version, comes locked down against relaying right out of the box: you can find out more about previous versions by going to the Sendmail web site. So rather than focusing on initial configuration, let's look at a more insidious problem: taking over someone else's Sendmail setup and making sure they haven't punched any holes in it spammers might use.
Don't roll your eyes. There are a lot of administrators who just kind of fell into their jobs, and rather than learning the proper way to do things will punch security holes to get their workarounds to function. Maybe you were even one of them once, but now you know better, but you've forgotten to go back and clean up all of your old messes.
[ Read more ]
- News: How one spam leads to another (4 July 2002)
- News: Nigeria hoax spawns copycats (18 June 2002)
- News: The solution to spam - reverse filtering (12 June 2002)
- News: Anti-virus/anti-spam mail server setup using MailScanner (7 June 2002)
- News: Secure your network against viruses and spam (30 May 2002)
- News: Six arrested over 'Nigerian email' frauds (23 May 2002)
- News: Europe to let nations decide on financial spam (17 May 2002)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- News: Cutting spam at a cost (10 May 2002)
- News: MAPS sues its own anti-spam guru (9 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)