Embracing strong passwords
In previous articles about passwords, Mich Kabay has expressed his distaste for this method of identification and authentication (I&A). But whether he likes them or not, most of us are stuck with passwords and the management problems they cause.
In an age of hackers, viruses, terrorism and malevolent employees, talking about security can make people either try to glamorize it, à la James Bond, or minimize it, as in, “It won’t happen to me.” Both attitudes are distractions that decrease security.
By M. E. Kabay at Network World Fusion.
[ Read more ]
- Article: How to Use Passwords Securely (22 April 2003)
- Article: Implementing Basic Security Measures (14 April 2003)
- Article: Cracking OpenVMS Passwords with John the Ripper (28 November 2002)
- Article: What makes a good Password? (13 November 2002)
- Article: A Note on Proactive Password Checking (24 September 2002)
- Article: Basic security with passwords (24 May 2002)
- Article: Passwords - The Weak Link (1 April 2002)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.