No WLAN? You still need wireless security
Indeed, when it comes to the threat matrix associated with wireless security, there are many issues demanding attention: everything from keeping unauthorized wireless users off wireless local area networks (WLANs) to making sure that the traffic flowing through a WLAN is encrypted in a way that keeps the payloads safe from prying eyes.
Although most wireless security solutions target organizations that have deployed wireless networks, there is a class of solutions that target all companies--even those that haven't deployed wireless networks. These solutions detect the existence of rogue access points. (An access point is a transceiver that connects devices on a wireless LAN to the wired infrastructure. A rogue access point is not authorized by an organization's IT department for operation.) Setting up an access point is child's play. In addition to plugging the access point into a power source, all one has to do is connect one end of an Ethernet cable to an available Ethernet port, connect the other end to an access point and voila! A new Wi-Fi WLAN is born.
By David Berlind at ZDNet.
[ Read more ]
- Review: Securing Wireless LANs (10 February 2004)
- Review: Wireless Hacks (12 December 2003)
- Review: Real 802.11 Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access and 802.11i (3 November 2003)
- Review: 802.11 Security (3 October 2003)
- Review: Installing, Troubleshooting, and Repairing Wireless Networks (5 September 2003)
- Review: Building Secure Wireless Networks with 802.11 (28 August 2003)
- Review: How Secure is Your Wireless Network? Safeguarding Your Wi-Fi LAN (22 August 2003)
- Review: WiFi Security (9 July 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security End to End (4 June 2003)
- Review: The Complete Wireless Internet and Mobile Business Programming Training Course (28 May 2003)
- Review: Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks (14 May 2003)
- Review: Maximum Wireless Security (17 February 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques (17 December 2002)