Experts: timing of new Sasser worm raises questions
The release of a new version of the Sasser worm calls into question claims by some German authorities that they have the sole author of the worm in custody, according to antivirus experts.
A new version of the Sasser worm, dubbed Sasser-E, appeared late Friday, around the time police arrested an 18-year-old man they said was the author of all the Sasser variants and of the Netsky worm. While it is possible that the teenager released the worm just before being captured, the close timing and clues from earlier Sasser variants may point to a larger network of virus writers outside of Germany, said Mikko Hyppönen, antivirus research manager at F-Secure Corp. in Finland.
By Paul Roberts at Info World.
[ Read more ]
- Software: Symantec Sasser Removal Tool
- Software: F-Secure Sasser Removal Tool
- Virus News: PandaLabs in the Hunt for the Authors of the Sasser Worms (7 May 2004)
- Virus News: Sasser Epidemic Collateral Damage (5 May 2004)
- Virus News: Symantec Response to Sasser Worm - New information (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: New Netsky Worm Poses as a Cure For Sasser (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: Information Quotes on Sasser Worm (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: New Automatic Internet Worm Spreading at Increasing Pace (3 May 2004)
- Virus News: Panda Software Offers to Every User the Free Tool to Disinfect and Remove Sasser.A (3 May 2004)
- Review: Viruses Revealed (28 April 2003)