Police: Sasser suspect confesses
The teenager, whose name was not released, was arrested Friday in the northern village of Waffensen, where he lives with his family. In a search of the suspect's home, German investigators confiscated his customized computer, which contained the worm's source code.
"As a result of the student's detailed testimony about the viruses he spread, he has been identified clearly as the author," the state criminal office in Hanover said in a statement. Spokesman Detlef Ehrike said the teen is being investigated on suspicion of computer sabotage, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
[ Read more ]
- Software: Symantec Sasser Removal Tool
- Software: F-Secure Sasser Removal Tool
- Virus News: Symantec Response to Sasser Worm - New information (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: New Netsky Worm Poses as a Cure For Sasser (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: Information Quotes on Sasser Worm (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: New Automatic Internet Worm Spreading at Increasing Pace (3 May 2004)
- Virus News: Panda Software Offers to Every User the Free Tool to Disinfect and Remove Sasser.A (3 May 2004)
- Review: Viruses Revealed (28 April 2003)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.