Sasser is fastest written Windows worm
The "Sasser" computer worm now plaguing computers around the world was based on a critical software flaw revealed by Microsoft just 17 days before the worm's release.
Microsoft revealed a total of 20 software bugs in a bulletin issued on 13 April and the first version of Sasser appeared on 30 April. Over the next few days this and three variants - tweaked to improve the speed of infection - succeeded in infecting many hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide.
By Will Knight at New Scientist.
[ Read more ]
- Software: Symantec Sasser Removal Tool
- Software: F-Secure Sasser Removal Tool
- Virus News: Symantec Response to Sasser Worm - New information (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: New Netsky Worm Poses as a Cure For Sasser (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: Information Quotes on Sasser Worm (4 May 2004)
- Virus News: New Automatic Internet Worm Spreading at Increasing Pace (3 May 2004)
- Virus News: Panda Software Offers to Every User the Free Tool to Disinfect and Remove Sasser.A (3 May 2004)
- Press Release: Lurhq Reports Sasser Worm Rapidly Spreading Across Internet (3 May 2004)
- Review: Viruses Revealed (28 April 2003)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.