Wireless LAN security monitors
It's been years since the weaknesses of WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) came to the fore, but despite the best efforts of vendors and industry groups, the notion that it's next to impossible to secure a WLAN is still alive and kicking.
The truth is, battening down your wireless LAN has gotten easier. Still, despite the time and money we'll spend making sure only authenticated users gain access to wireless networks and only encrypted data goes airborne, WLAN security isn't complete. Once you build a secure WLAN, you must ensure it stays secure. Whether you're after rogue-AP (access point) alerts or detailed information on serious threats like DoS (denial-of-service) attacks, understanding your WLAN environment is key to ensuring that your wireless network provides connectivity without compromising your company's data security.
By Jesse Lindeman and Frank Bulk at Network Computing.
[ Read more ]
- Article: Increasing Security Awareness: Visualizing WEP Insecurity (3 March 2004)
- Review: Securing Wireless LANs (10 February 2004)
- Article: Interview with Jon Edney, author of "Real 802.11 Security" (18 December 2003)
- Review: Wireless Hacks (12 December 2003)
- Review: Real 802.11 Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access and 802.11i (3 November 2003)
- Review: 802.11 Security (3 October 2003)
- Article: Wireless Security: Preventing Your Data From Vanishing Into Thin Air (16 September 2003)
- Review: Installing, Troubleshooting, and Repairing Wireless Networks (5 September 2003)
- Review: Building Secure Wireless Networks with 802.11 (28 August 2003)
- Review: How Secure is Your Wireless Network? Safeguarding Your Wi-Fi LAN (22 August 2003)
- Article: Lack of Security at Wireless Conferences (6 August 2003)
- Review: WiFi Security (9 July 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security End to End (4 June 2003)
- Review: The Complete Wireless Internet and Mobile Business Programming Training Course (28 May 2003)
- Review: Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks (14 May 2003)
- Article: Positive Identification in a Wireless World (6 May 2003)
- Article: Warchalking and Other Wireless Worries (3 April 2003)
- Article: How to Make Wireless Networks Secure (26 March 2003)
- Article: Interview with Cyrus Peikari, CEO of AirScanner Mobile Security (24 February 2003)
- Review: Maximum Wireless Security (17 February 2003)
- Article: Detecting Wireless LAN MAC Address Spoofing (22 January 2003)
- Article: Avoid Wireless LAN Security Pitfalls (17 January 2003)
- Article: Interview with Jay Chaudhry, CEO of AirDefense (7 January 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques (17 December 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.