'War driver' finds easy pickings
Wireless network systems growing in popularity, but lack of security offers hackers an enticing opportunity to do mayhem.
"War driver" intent on showing businesses need for wireless security.
A ride in "Bubba" Mahan's van can be an eye-opener.
"There's one now," he said as the laptop computer in the center console area beeped to life. It had found a wireless network, and it was insecure. With a few clicks of the keyboard, Mahan would have been able to gain access to the Internet or another computer.
Mahan is a "war driver" and has been for about six years. As part of his computer consulting business, Mahan cruises around looking for unsecure wireless network systems so he can warn businesses about their systems and, hopefully, persuade them to add security.
By David Tortorano at The Sun Herald.
[ Read more ]
- Article: Increasing Security Awareness: Visualizing WEP Insecurity (3 March 2004)
- Review: Securing Wireless LANs (10 February 2004)
- Article: Interview with Jon Edney, author of "Real 802.11 Security" (18 December 2003)
- Review: Wireless Hacks (12 December 2003)
- Review: Real 802.11 Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access and 802.11i (3 November 2003)
- Review: 802.11 Security (3 October 2003)
- Article: Wireless Security: Preventing Your Data From Vanishing Into Thin Air (16 September 2003)
- Review: Installing, Troubleshooting, and Repairing Wireless Networks (5 September 2003)
- Review: Building Secure Wireless Networks with 802.11 (28 August 2003)
- Review: How Secure is Your Wireless Network? Safeguarding Your Wi-Fi LAN (22 August 2003)
- Article: Lack of Security at Wireless Conferences (6 August 2003)
- Review: WiFi Security (9 July 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security End to End (4 June 2003)
- Review: The Complete Wireless Internet and Mobile Business Programming Training Course (28 May 2003)
- Review: Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks (14 May 2003)
- Article: Positive Identification in a Wireless World (6 May 2003)
- Article: Warchalking and Other Wireless Worries (3 April 2003)
- Article: How to Make Wireless Networks Secure (26 March 2003)
- Article: Interview with Cyrus Peikari, CEO of AirScanner Mobile Security (24 February 2003)
- Review: Maximum Wireless Security (17 February 2003)
- Article: Detecting Wireless LAN MAC Address Spoofing (22 January 2003)
- Article: Avoid Wireless LAN Security Pitfalls (17 January 2003)
- Article: Interview with Jay Chaudhry, CEO of AirDefense (7 January 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques (17 December 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.