Linux wireless networking
These days you cannot talk about computers and networks without thinking of Linux and wireless networking. In this article the author explains wireless networking with WLAN, Bluetooth, GPRS, GSM, and IrDA from a Linux perspective. He uses various wireless devices and the corresponding kernel layers and user space tools to demonstrate how they work with Linux.
You'll first see how WLAN devices work on Linux by tracing the code flow for an example WLAN card. Then you'll see how several Bluetooth devices interface with the Linux Bluetooth stack and other kernel layers. Next, you'll learn how to get GPRS and GSM devices to work with Linux. The article ends with the examination of Linux IrDa support and a brief look at performance issues faced by wireless networking devices.
By Sreekrishnan Venkateswaran at developerWorks.
[ Read more ]
- Article: Increasing Security Awareness: Visualizing WEP Insecurity (3 March 2004)
- Review: Securing Wireless LANs (10 February 2004)
- Article: Interview with Jon Edney, author of "Real 802.11 Security" (18 December 2003)
- Review: Wireless Hacks (12 December 2003)
- Review: Real 802.11 Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access and 802.11i (3 November 2003)
- Review: 802.11 Security (3 October 2003)
- Article: Wireless Security: Preventing Your Data From Vanishing Into Thin Air (16 September 2003)
- Review: Installing, Troubleshooting, and Repairing Wireless Networks (5 September 2003)
- Review: Building Secure Wireless Networks with 802.11 (28 August 2003)
- Review: How Secure is Your Wireless Network? Safeguarding Your Wi-Fi LAN (22 August 2003)
- Article: Lack of Security at Wireless Conferences (6 August 2003)
- Review: WiFi Security (9 July 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security End to End (4 June 2003)
- Review: The Complete Wireless Internet and Mobile Business Programming Training Course (28 May 2003)
- Review: Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks (14 May 2003)
- Article: Positive Identification in a Wireless World (6 May 2003)
- Article: Warchalking and Other Wireless Worries (3 April 2003)
- Article: How to Make Wireless Networks Secure (26 March 2003)
- Article: Interview with Cyrus Peikari, CEO of AirScanner Mobile Security (24 February 2003)
- Review: Maximum Wireless Security (17 February 2003)
- Article: Detecting Wireless LAN MAC Address Spoofing (22 January 2003)
- Article: Avoid Wireless LAN Security Pitfalls (17 January 2003)
- Article: Interview with Jay Chaudhry, CEO of AirDefense (7 January 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques (17 December 2002)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.