Cisco develops WLAN security protocol
Cisco Systems Inc. has developed a new wireless LAN security protocol designed to defeat brute force dictionary attacks that capture a user's passwords, and it submitted a draft of the protocol to the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) on Monday.
Cisco developed the new WLAN Extensible Authentication Protocol-Flexible Authentication via Secure Tunneling (EAP-FAST) to defeat dictionary attacks against unencrypted passwords in its earlier, proprietary Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol (LEAP). Cisco posted a security bulletin last August warning users that LEAP is vulnerable to such attacks (see story).
By Bob Brewin at Computerworld.
[ Read more ]
- Article: Increasing Security Awareness: Visualizing WEP Insecurity (3 March 2004)
- Article: Interview with Jon Edney, author of "Real 802.11 Security" (18 December 2003)
- Review: Wireless Hacks (12 December 2003)
- Review: Real 802.11 Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access and 802.11i (3 November 2003)
- Review: 802.11 Security (3 October 2003)
- Article: Wireless Security: Preventing Your Data From Vanishing Into Thin Air (16 September 2003)
- Review: Installing, Troubleshooting, and Repairing Wireless Networks (5 September 2003)
- Review: Building Secure Wireless Networks with 802.11 (28 August 2003)
- Review: How Secure is Your Wireless Network? Safeguarding Your Wi-Fi LAN (22 August 2003)
- Article: Lack of Security at Wireless Conferences (6 August 2003)
- Review: WiFi Security (9 July 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security End to End (4 June 2003)
- Review: The Complete Wireless Internet and Mobile Business Programming Training Course (28 May 2003)
- Review: Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks (14 May 2003)
- Article: Positive Identification in a Wireless World (6 May 2003)
- Article: Warchalking and Other Wireless Worries (3 April 2003)
- Article: How to Make Wireless Networks Secure (26 March 2003)
- Article: Interview with Cyrus Peikari, CEO of AirScanner Mobile Security (24 February 2003)
- Review: Maximum Wireless Security (17 February 2003)
- Article: Detecting Wireless LAN MAC Address Spoofing (22 January 2003)
- Article: Avoid Wireless LAN Security Pitfalls (17 January 2003)
- Article: Interview with Jay Chaudhry, CEO of AirDefense (7 January 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques (17 December 2002)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.