Network Associates fights spyware
On Thursday, the company released McAfee AntiSpyware, a new product designed to automatically and proactively guard consumers against the threat of spyware and adware, programs that allow advertisements to automatically pop up on a computer screen.
Spyware is a broad term often used to describe unwelcome programs that take up residence on a computer's hard drive. They typically appear when computer users download freeware or shareware from the Internet. They also can be passed around through e-mails and peer-to-peer applications such as instant messaging and music file-sharing software.
The programs are designed to keep track of a computer user's online activities and report those results to Web advertisers, which use them to target pop-up advertising. Identity thieves can use the technology to steal personal information.
By Marguerite Reardon at CNET.
[ Read more ]
- Software: Ad-aware SE Personal Edition
- News: From anti-spam to anti-spyware (9 January 2004)
- News: Security fears over spyware (23 December 2003)
- News: Dell to techs: don't help customers remove spyware (3 December 2003)
- News: No easy solution to spyware (19 November 2003)
- News: Are you being watched online? (14 November 2003)
- News: Which adware and spyware are the most insidious? (28 October 2003)
- News: After Trojan Horses and worms, here comes the Beast (20 October 2003)
- News: Students toil as spyware hunters (6 October 2003)
- News: Escape the spyware nightmare (12 September 2003)
- News: Nothing is secret with spyware lurking in PCs (1 July 2003)
- News: Sneaky software hijacks more browsers (6 May 2003)
- News: Spyware - silent enemy (28 April 2003)
- News: Spyware: It's Lurking on Your Machine (3 April 2003)
- Review: Ad-aware 6.0 Professional (20 March 2003)
- News: The Best Spyware Stopper (7 March 2003)
- News: Spyware found in 30% of European businesses (11 February 2003)
- News: Closing spyware loopholes (25 October 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.