Wi-Fi products roll despite security debate
The message from a wireless conference this week in San Jose, Calif., is clear: Wi-Fi is more or less business-ready. Sorry, make that more and less business-ready. Dueling speakers at the Wi-Fi Planet Conference & Expo appraised wireless data networks very differently.
Cisco Systems' general manager of Building Broadband Solutions division, Steve Nye, said problems that have kept large companies from going wireless largely have been solved. He touted new standards and product certifications as evidence that wireless security concerns are on the wane.
A bit of the punch of Nye's declaration was dissipated by news Wednesday that three of Cisco's wireless access points can be illicitly tapped. (A fix is available at Cisco's site.)
And Thursday, a former Intel exec blasted wireless as too insecure, too complicated, and too difficult to install. Les Valdez, who retired from Intel earlier this year after a 25-year run with the chipmaker, said wireless security not is good enough. More to the point, Valdez said most network administrators worry that Wi-Fi will open their networks to attacks and rogue users.
[ Read more ]
- Review: Wireless Hacks (12 December 2003)
- Review: Real 802.11 Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access and 802.11i (3 November 2003)
- Review: 802.11 Security (3 October 2003)
- Article: Wireless Security: Preventing Your Data From Vanishing Into Thin Air (16 September 2003)
- Review: Installing, Troubleshooting, and Repairing Wireless Networks (5 September 2003)
- Review: Building Secure Wireless Networks with 802.11 (28 August 2003)
- Review: How Secure is Your Wireless Network? Safeguarding Your Wi-Fi LAN (22 August 2003)
- Article: Lack of Security at Wireless Conferences (6 August 2003)
- Review: WiFi Security (9 July 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security End to End (4 June 2003)
- Review: The Complete Wireless Internet and Mobile Business Programming Training Course (28 May 2003)
- Review: Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks (14 May 2003)
- Article: Positive Identification in a Wireless World (6 May 2003)
- Article: Warchalking and Other Wireless Worries (3 April 2003)
- Article: How to Make Wireless Networks Secure (26 March 2003)
- Article: Interview with Cyrus Peikari, CEO of AirScanner Mobile Security (24 February 2003)
- Review: Maximum Wireless Security (17 February 2003)
- Article: Detecting Wireless LAN MAC Address Spoofing (22 January 2003)
- Article: Avoid Wireless LAN Security Pitfalls (17 January 2003)
- Article: Interview with Jay Chaudhry, CEO of AirDefense (7 January 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques (17 December 2002)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.