Virus writers dismiss bounty fund

Friday, 7 November 2003, 1:11 PM EST

Virus writers won’t be deterred by Microsoft’s $5 million bounty fund to help capture and convict them. That’s according to two virus writers who have said that the fund may cause cyberspace outlaws to be more vigilant, but won’t stop them launching a computer virus or worm.

Applying Wild West-type bounties to modern Internet crimes, Microsoft on Wednesday put two $250,000 rewards on the heads of the individuals responsible for unleashing the Blaster and Sobig worms that wreaked havoc in August. Another $4.5 million was set aside for future bounties.

Microsoft hopes the money will make ill-intended code slingers think twice. "They should think 'uh-oh, there is somebody who knows what I am doing and they have an incentive to turn me in because there is a reward,'" said Hemanshu Nigam, a Microsoft corporate attorney.

However, two virus writers dismissed the bounty fund as a marketing stunt and said it will have no deterrent effect.

[ Read more ]

Related items




Spotlight

101,000 US taxpayers affected by automated attack on IRS app

The IRS has revealed more details about an attack it suffered last month, mounted by unknown individuals with the aim to file fraudulent tax returns and funnel the returned money to their own bank accounts.


Weekly newsletter

Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
  



Daily digest

Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.
  
DON'T
MISS

Wed, Feb 10th
    COPYRIGHT 1998-2016 BY HELP NET SECURITY.   // READ OUR PRIVACY POLICY // ABOUT US // ADVERTISE //