Wireless LAN security to be solved, what about management?
Is the wireless LAN market today as developed as you thought it would be by this time?
Kozup: We always said that until the issues of management and security are resolved, we wouldn’t see large enterprise deployments. Right now, we’re looking at late 2004 for enterprises to have confidence in the security and management components of wireless LANs. It’s encouraging to see customers not slowing down in the policy area. But the slowdown is in waiting for the standards to develop and the implementation of those standards.
What’s your No. 1 piece of advice when an enterprise asks you how they should deploy a wireless LAN?
Kozup: Of course, this varies of the type of deployment, but first users need to give strong consideration of
the applications that would run on the wireless LAN – the business justifications and the impact of the WLAN on business. Second, you should conduct an audit, so that you understand what you have. Finally, create a wireless LAN policy. It’s better to understand what you have before enforcing a blanket policy. Security is included in the policy.
[ Read more ]
- Review: Real 802.11 Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access and 802.11i (3 November 2003)
- Webcast: Approaches to Wireless LAN Monitoring for Improved Security & Management (30 October 2003)
- Review: 802.11 Security (3 October 2003)
- Review: Installing, Troubleshooting, and Repairing Wireless Networks (5 September 2003)
- Review: Building Secure Wireless Networks with 802.11 (28 August 2003)
- Review: How Secure is Your Wireless Network? Safeguarding Your Wi-Fi LAN (22 August 2003)
- Article: Lack of Security at Wireless Conferences (6 August 2003)
- Review: WiFi Security (9 July 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security End to End (4 June 2003)
- Review: The Complete Wireless Internet and Mobile Business Programming Training Course (28 May 2003)
- Review: Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks (14 May 2003)
- Article: Positive Identification in a Wireless World (6 May 2003)
- Article: Warchalking and Other Wireless Worries (3 April 2003)
- Article: How to Make Wireless Networks Secure (26 March 2003)
- Article: Interview with Cyrus Peikari, CEO of AirScanner Mobile Security (24 February 2003)
- Review: Maximum Wireless Security (17 February 2003)
- Article: Detecting Wireless LAN MAC Address Spoofing (22 January 2003)
- Article: Avoid Wireless LAN Security Pitfalls (17 January 2003)
- Article: Interview with Jay Chaudhry, CEO of AirDefense (7 January 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques (17 December 2002)