FBI slammed over handling of hacker case
The Justice Department said Monday the FBI didn't follow proper procedure when it notified reporters their notes might be subpoenaed in the case against a hacker accused of breaking into The New York Times' computer system.
The department said the correct procedure is to seek material from reporters only after other investigative steps have been exhausted, and that subpoenas are to be used only as a last resort.
"There are very few instances in which media subpoenas are granted," said Justice Department spokesman Mark Corallo. "In this case, as in any case, we expect the investigators to exhaust all other avenues before they seek approval for any subpoena or any formal requests for records."
The FBI agent did not notify the U.S. attorney in Manhattan and did not go through proper channels at the Justice Department, according to a Justice official, who spoke only on condition of anonymity.
[ Read more ]
- News: FBI targets reporters' hacker notes (2 October 2003)
- News: The subpoenas are coming! (30 September 2003)
- News: Adrian Lamo turns himself in (10 September 2003)
- News: Lamo set to surrender today (9 September 2003)
- News: Adrian Lamo speaks with leo before arrest (8 September 2003)
- News: FBI reportedly hunting Adrian Lamo (5 September 2003)
- News: Lamo hacks Cingular claims site (30 May 2003)
- News: Adrian Lamo - a duty to hack (23 April 2003)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.