Students toil as spyware hunters
Outraged by the damage inflicted by a fast-spreading spyware application, a pair of high school students team up to fight back.
Jay Cross Jr. and Christopher Carlino, two high school seniors from Stamford, Connecticut, are determined to track down the creators of Xupiter spyware software and take them to court.
Carlino and Cross recently signed on as participants in a pending class action suit against Xupiter, joining thousands of other disgruntled users whose machines were vandalized by the spyware.
But the two teenagers weren't content to simply join the suit. Carlino, 17, and Cross, 16, have become the primary researchers for the case, tirelessly ferreting out information about the creators of Xupiter and the havoc their software wreaks on computers.
[ Read more ]
- Software: Ad-aware SE Personal Edition
- News: Escape the spyware nightmare (12 September 2003)
- News: Nothing is secret with spyware lurking in PCs (1 July 2003)
- News: Sneaky software hijacks more browsers (6 May 2003)
- News: Spyware - silent enemy (28 April 2003)
- News: Spyware: It's Lurking on Your Machine (3 April 2003)
- Review: Ad-aware 6.0 Professional (20 March 2003)
- News: The Best Spyware Stopper (7 March 2003)
- News: Spyware found in 30% of European businesses (11 February 2003)
- News: Closing spyware loopholes (25 October 2002)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.