The new security risk of VoIP
They have their networks locked tight, their data hidden behind firewalls and their e-mail scanned by virus protection software. But too many IT managers and security officers overlook a crucial security risk: the telephone system. As voice over IP (VoIP) setups become more common within enterprises, the risk of compromise of phone services is on the rise.
"When it comes to telephone systems, we're so comfortable that when a security breach occurs, it's like being punched by someone you love -- you're just not expecting it," Jim Puchbauer, director of marketing at AltiGen Communications, told the E-Commerce Times.
[ Read more ]
- News: Network Associates sniffs out VoIP patent (27 August 2003)
- News: Securing VoIP on the Internet (27 June 2003)
- News: Taking the threat out of IP voice (10 June 2003)
- News: Phreaks threaten voice IP security (8 May 2003)
- News: Is VoIP secure? You make the call (1 May 2003)
- News: VOIP: Don't overlook security (9 October 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.