Linux fights off worms
The forthcoming Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 3 suite will include a new feature to thwart worms and hackers.
The news arrives as the security of open-source systems comes under increased scrutiny. Less than two weeks ago, several serious security vulnerabilities were revealed in OpenSSH and Sendmail, two popular open-source software packages.
The RHEL 3 server operating system, due to ship within weeks, includes a feature called Position Independent Executables (PIE). This is a modification to the Linux kernel developed by Red Hat to reduce the threat from worms and other buffer-overflow based attacks.
[ Read more ]
- Review: Managing Linux Systems with Webmin: System Administration and Module Development (19 September 2003)
- Review: Red Hat Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide (17 September 2003)
- Review: Linux Server Hacks (10 September 2003)
- Review: Linux+ Certification Bible (3 September 2003)
- Review: Mastering Red Hat Linux 9 (18 July 2003)
- Review: Intrusion Detection with SNORT: Advanced IDS Techniques Using SNORT, Apache, MySQL, PHP, and ACID (19 June 2003)
- Review: Red Hat Linux Survival Guide (30 May 2003)
- Review: Hacking Exposed Linux 2/e (8 May 2003)
- Review: Linux Administration Handbook (30 April 2003)
- Review: PTG Interactive's Training Course for Red Hat Linux: A Digital Seminar on CD-ROM 2/e (11 April 2003)
- Review: Red Hat Linux 8 Bible (21 March 2003)
- Review: Linux System Security: The Administrator's Guide to Open Source Security Tools, 2/e (14 March 2003)
- Review: A Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux 8 (9 March 2003)
- Review: The Complete Linux Shell Programming Training Course (7 March 2003)
- Review: Real World Linux Security, 2/e (22 November 2002)
- Review: Advanced Linux Networking (24 September 2002)
- Review: Multitool Linux: Practical Uses for Open Source Software (10 September 2002)
- Review: Linux System Administration - A User's Guide (18 August 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.