Intrusion detection terminology (part two)
The first part of this series discussed the concept of Alerts, Consoles, False Negatives, and many other terms that are important for Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS). This second and final terminology article will continue in the same vein, starting with an explanation of the many different types of IDSs that exist today.
Although we tend to talk about IDSs as though they are just one thing, there are actually many different types of IDS. The following is a list of the various types of IDS, and a brief explanation of what differentiates them.
[ Read more ]
- News: Intrusion detection terminology (part one) (4 September 2003)
- Review: Intrusion Detection with SNORT: Advanced IDS Techniques Using SNORT, Apache, MySQL, PHP, and ACID (19 June 2003)
- Review: Network Intrusion Detection 3/e (24 January 2003)
- Article: Securing Linux (16 May 2002)
- Article: Tips on basic Linux server security (14 May 2002)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.