Why you must install a firewall NOW
If you haven't already installed a personal firewall on your Windows computer, consider this your last warning.
MSBlast, the recent worm that exploited the buffer overflow in Windows's DCOM RPC protocol, wasn't the sort of e-mail-borne pest that antivirus software is good at catching. Instead, it infiltrated computers directly through their Internet connections.
Although installing the latest Microsoft patches should prevent infections from this sort of worm, a simple software firewall will do the trick, too, whether or not you have antivirus software installed.
[ Read more ]
- Software: Astonsoft Anti MSBlast
- Software: BitDefender Anti Blaster
- Article: MS Blaster Worm Roundup (12 August 2003)
- Review: Personal Firewalls for Administrators and Remote Users (13 March 2003)
- Review: Firewalls and Internet Security: Repelling the Wily Hacker 2/e (30 January 2003)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.