Escape the spyware nightmare
Is your PC feeling sluggish? Has your browser recently acquired a mysterious new toolbar? Are new programs showing up unexpectedly in your system tray? Do advertising windows pop up even when you're not browsing the Web? Have you discovered surprise 900-number charges on your phone bill?
All of these are telltale signs that your computer is beset with adware, spyware, or other malicious software you don't want and don't need. Like viruses, these programs often sneak onto your PC by piggybacking on a downloaded program, e-mail message, or Web site. Though not as dangerous as viruses, adware, spyware, and other unsolicited software can slow your PC, bog down your Internet connection, reduce your productivity, and jeopardize your personal privacy.
[ Read more ]
- Software: Ad-aware SE Personal Edition
- News: Nothing is secret with spyware lurking in PCs (1 July 2003)
- News: Sneaky software hijacks more browsers (6 May 2003)
- News: Spyware - silent enemy (28 April 2003)
- News: Spyware: It's Lurking on Your Machine (3 April 2003)
- Article: Protect Your PC For Free! No More Excuses! (27 March 2003)
- Review: Ad-aware 6.0 Professional (20 March 2003)
- News: The Best Spyware Stopper (7 March 2003)
- News: Spyware found in 30% of European businesses (11 February 2003)
- News: Closing spyware loopholes (25 October 2002)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.