How about a project that combines hardware construction, community building, network hacking and, of course, Linux and other free software? Best of all, the stuff you need to get started is cheap and standardized, and there's a great balance of helpful resources and unanswered questions. We're talking about wireless networks. You'll impress even people who aren't Linux users by offering convenient Net access at your business or organization and the public spaces nearby.
Here on the West Coast of the USA, people sometimes get complacent about being first to understand and deploy new technology. If you're in San Francisco or Seattle, you're bound to be living a couple years ahead of everyone else, gadget-wise, right? Wrong.
Even though the West Coast has some wireless users groups that have done some impressive work, wireless is really making an impact in New York City, where “business improvement districts” are using access points to improve business in their neighborhoods, and even the phone company is offering access points. NYCwireless is a force to be reckoned with and might give you some ideas for your town. Find out exactly what that beat box on the cover has to do with Linux, and learn about the wireless frenzy sweeping New York City, on page 42.
[ Read more ]
For all your wireless security information needs, visit the Wireless outside articles section of HNS.
- Article: Lack of Security at Wireless Conferences (6 August 2003)
- Review: WiFi Security (9 July 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security End to End (4 June 2003)
- Review: Deploying License-Free Wireless Wide-Area Networks (14 May 2003)
- Article: Positive Identification in a Wireless World (6 May 2003)
- Article: Warchalking and Other Wireless Worries (3 April 2003)
- Article: How to Make Wireless Networks Secure (26 March 2003)
- Article: Interview with Cyrus Peikari, CEO of AirScanner Mobile Security (24 February 2003)
- Review: Maximum Wireless Security (17 February 2003)
- Article: Detecting Wireless LAN MAC Address Spoofing (22 January 2003)
- Article: Avoid Wireless LAN Security Pitfalls (17 January 2003)
- Article: Interview with Jay Chaudhry, CEO of AirDefense (7 January 2003)
- Review: Wireless Security and Privacy: Best Practices and Design Techniques (17 December 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.