Spam dumpster diving
Anti spam activists struck gold this week when they found a website, which contains thousands of zipfiles, left behind by or nicked from a spammer. Nearly a gigabyte of email addresses, unzipped.
So, where is it from? Almost certainly from TornadoPromotions.com Inc, an American company that offers services to send e-mail advertisements to as many as 150 million consumers at a time.
Its growing list of clients includes Morgan, Colling & Gilbert, Recreational Factory Warehouse, Legends Sports Management Group, American Liberty Financial and Body N Soul Spa, to name but a few.
Recently, the company purchased a 2,500-square-foot house, equipped with a 62-inch television set, an espresso/martini bar with Starbuck's-like retro furniture and walls draped in bold red, green and yellow, according to news reports.
[ Read more ]
- News: A new tool for combating spam (17 July 2003)
- News: Could hackers launch a denial-of-spam attack? (15 July 2003)
- News: We've found the perfect solution to spam (9 July 2003)
- News: Dutch mass spammer loses grip (7 July 2003)
- News: Spam peddlers hijack computers (3 July 2003)
- News: US anti-spam laws 'will legalise spam' (2 July 2003)
- News: Defending your site against spam (30 June 2003)
- News: How viruses (and your PC) are used to send spam (30 June 2003)
- News: Toward a spam-free future (25 June 2003)
- News: HP to ship antispam software on new PCs (19 June 2003)
- News: Microsoft takes spam fight to court (18 June 2003)
- News: Anti-spam proposals get tougher (17 June 2003)
- News: Spam 'more of a menace than hackers' (13 June 2003)
- News: FTC: blame foreigners for spam (12 June 2003)
- News: Corporate spam overtakes legitimate e-mail (3 June 2003)
- News: Spam tsunami (2 June 2003)
- News: Europe imports an American problem - spam (2 June 2003)
- News: Congress slams spam (23 May 2003)
- News: Microsoft and Symantec give Senate recipes for frying spam (22 May 2003)
- News: You've got spam (very likely from a hijacked computer) (21 May 2003)
- News: Testers angry over spam-blocking fees (21 May 2003)
- News: Feds prime new antispam weapon (16 May 2003)
- News: Spam attempts to scam Bank of America customers (14 May 2003)
- News: Before friday comes spamday (12 May 2003)
- News: EarthLink sues the 'Buffalo spammer' (8 May 2003)
- News: Is spam behind a cell-phone virus? (5 May 2003)
- News: Best way to stop spammers? Make them pay! (5 May 2003)
- News: Are blacklists killing more than spam? (2 May 2003)
- News: Fight spam with SpamProbe (2 May 2003)
- News: Virginia threatens spammers with jail (1 May 2003)
- News: Go hunting for spammers (30 April 2003)
- News: Rise of the spam zombies (28 April 2003)
- News: Antispam activist claims court victory (9 April 2003)
- Article: Iraq Dragged Into The Infamous 419 Scam (7 April 2003)
- News: Spam pips viruses as biggest web problem (4 April 2003)
- Article: Spam Checklist - April Fool's Day is Approaching (27 March 2003)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: Mail Abuse Prevention Organization stands up to giant Harris Interactive (4 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.