Could hackers launch a denial-of-spam attack?
Spam is choking the internet. The ease with which people can send out mass mailers is appalling. Internet service providers are failing to stop them.
The best advice is to ignore these dimwits. We are told only to accept e-mail from people in our contacts book that has been sent direct to us, rather than as a CC.
I wish someone would do something quickly because network bandwidth is expensive and the last thing you would want to receive over a 3G network is a spam message offering subscriptions to a porn site or another get rich scheme.
But, as Kevin Costner found out in the film Field of Dreams, if you build it, they will come. And the more avenues spammers have access to, and the more bandwidth that is available, the more messages they will send: to your internet e-mail address; your 3G mobile phone; your PDA; and even your set-top box.
[ Read more ]
- News: We've found the perfect solution to spam (9 July 2003)
- News: Dutch mass spammer loses grip (7 July 2003)
- News: Spam peddlers hijack computers (3 July 2003)
- News: US anti-spam laws 'will legalise spam' (2 July 2003)
- News: Defending your site against spam (30 June 2003)
- News: How viruses (and your PC) are used to send spam (30 June 2003)
- News: Toward a spam-free future (25 June 2003)
- News: HP to ship antispam software on new PCs (19 June 2003)
- News: Microsoft takes spam fight to court (18 June 2003)
- News: Anti-spam proposals get tougher (17 June 2003)
- News: Spam 'more of a menace than hackers' (13 June 2003)
- News: FTC: blame foreigners for spam (12 June 2003)
- News: Corporate spam overtakes legitimate e-mail (3 June 2003)
- News: Spam tsunami (2 June 2003)
- News: Europe imports an American problem - spam (2 June 2003)
- News: Congress slams spam (23 May 2003)
- News: Microsoft and Symantec give Senate recipes for frying spam (22 May 2003)
- News: You've got spam (very likely from a hijacked computer) (21 May 2003)
- News: Testers angry over spam-blocking fees (21 May 2003)
- News: Feds prime new antispam weapon (16 May 2003)
- News: Spam attempts to scam Bank of America customers (14 May 2003)
- News: Before friday comes spamday (12 May 2003)
- News: EarthLink sues the 'Buffalo spammer' (8 May 2003)
- News: Is spam behind a cell-phone virus? (5 May 2003)
- News: Best way to stop spammers? Make them pay! (5 May 2003)
- News: Are blacklists killing more than spam? (2 May 2003)
- News: Fight spam with SpamProbe (2 May 2003)
- News: Virginia threatens spammers with jail (1 May 2003)
- News: Go hunting for spammers (30 April 2003)
- News: Rise of the spam zombies (28 April 2003)
- News: Antispam activist claims court victory (9 April 2003)
- Article: Iraq Dragged Into The Infamous 419 Scam (7 April 2003)
- News: Spam pips viruses as biggest web problem (4 April 2003)
- Article: Spam Checklist - April Fool's Day is Approaching (27 March 2003)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: Mail Abuse Prevention Organization stands up to giant Harris Interactive (4 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.