How many firewalls do you need?
Let's say you're a really small operation. You've got one server and you want to connect it the Internet. Obviously you're going to need a firewall. Do you need a whole separate system for it?
While many people will say that you should pull out an old 486 box and run IPTables for Linux on it, that's not what most people do. One thing they may do, as envisioned by Microsoft in their recently revealed Small Business Server 2003, is to run the firewall on the same box as their production and web server software.
[ Read more ]
- Review: SonicWALL Pro (9 June 2003)
- Article: Interview with Lisa Yeo, author of "Personal Firewalls for Administrators and Remote Users" (30 March 2003)
- Review: Personal Firewalls for Administrators and Remote Users (13 March 2003)
- Article: Interview with Aviel Rubin, Computer Science Professor at Johns Hopkins University and Technical Director of the JHU Information Security Institute (26 February 2003)
- Review: Firewalls and Internet Security: Repelling the Wily Hacker 2/e (30 January 2003)
- Review: Cisco Secure PIX Firewalls (28 January 2003)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.