How viruses (and your PC) are used to send spam
Spam has become an international crisis. Security company MessageLabs says about 55 percent of all the e-mail it scans for viruses is actually spam. That's bad news for you and me.
Thanks to continuing effort by legislators and private companies to crack down on this epidemic, spammers now have to try harder than ever before to remain anonymous. For example, a few weeks ago I wrote about spammers exploiting open proxies to conceal their identities behind fake IP addresses.
Unfortunately, it appears spammers have found another creative way to avoid being caught: using millions of virus-infected PCs--one of which could be yours--to send out their junk e-mail messages.
[ Read more ]
- News: Toward a spam-free future (25 June 2003)
- News: HP to ship antispam software on new PCs (19 June 2003)
- News: Microsoft takes spam fight to court (18 June 2003)
- News: Anti-spam proposals get tougher (17 June 2003)
- News: Spam 'more of a menace than hackers' (13 June 2003)
- News: FTC: blame foreigners for spam (12 June 2003)
- News: Corporate spam overtakes legitimate e-mail (3 June 2003)
- News: Spam tsunami (2 June 2003)
- News: Europe imports an American problem - spam (2 June 2003)
- News: Congress slams spam (23 May 2003)
- News: Microsoft and Symantec give Senate recipes for frying spam (22 May 2003)
- News: You've got spam (very likely from a hijacked computer) (21 May 2003)
- News: Testers angry over spam-blocking fees (21 May 2003)
- News: Feds prime new antispam weapon (16 May 2003)
- News: Spam attempts to scam Bank of America customers (14 May 2003)
- News: Before friday comes spamday (12 May 2003)
- News: EarthLink sues the 'Buffalo spammer' (8 May 2003)
- News: Is spam behind a cell-phone virus? (5 May 2003)
- News: Best way to stop spammers? Make them pay! (5 May 2003)
- News: Are blacklists killing more than spam? (2 May 2003)
- News: Fight spam with SpamProbe (2 May 2003)
- News: Virginia threatens spammers with jail (1 May 2003)
- News: Go hunting for spammers (30 April 2003)
- News: Rise of the spam zombies (28 April 2003)
- News: Antispam activist claims court victory (9 April 2003)
- Article: Iraq Dragged Into The Infamous 419 Scam (7 April 2003)
- News: Spam pips viruses as biggest web problem (4 April 2003)
- Article: Spam Checklist - April Fool's Day is Approaching (27 March 2003)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: Mail Abuse Prevention Organization stands up to giant Harris Interactive (4 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.