HP to ship antispam software on new PCs
Saying it wants to protect children from inappropriate material and give customers a more "positive" computing experience, Hewlett Packard will bundle antispam software with its new desktop PCs.
The company will preload interMute's SpamSubtract Pro product on new HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario PCs, according to a statement from Braintree, Mass.-based interMute.
Customers who purchase the new PCs will be able to use the spam blocking software free for 30 days with the option to purchase a full license for the software for $29.95 from the interMute Web site.
SpamSubtract Pro acts like a spam firewall, using a specialized algorithm and database of spam e-mail identifiers such as obscene words and offensive images, as well as commercial solicitations, according to a company spokesman.
[ Read more ]
- News: Microsoft takes spam fight to court (18 June 2003)
- News: Anti-spam proposals get tougher (17 June 2003)
- News: Spam 'more of a menace than hackers' (13 June 2003)
- News: FTC: blame foreigners for spam (12 June 2003)
- News: Corporate spam overtakes legitimate e-mail (3 June 2003)
- News: Spam tsunami (2 June 2003)
- News: Europe imports an American problem - spam (2 June 2003)
- News: Congress slams spam (23 May 2003)
- News: Microsoft and Symantec give Senate recipes for frying spam (22 May 2003)
- News: You've got spam (very likely from a hijacked computer) (21 May 2003)
- News: Testers angry over spam-blocking fees (21 May 2003)
- News: Feds prime new antispam weapon (16 May 2003)
- News: Spam attempts to scam Bank of America customers (14 May 2003)
- News: Before friday comes spamday (12 May 2003)
- News: EarthLink sues the 'Buffalo spammer' (8 May 2003)
- News: Is spam behind a cell-phone virus? (5 May 2003)
- News: Best way to stop spammers? Make them pay! (5 May 2003)
- News: Are blacklists killing more than spam? (2 May 2003)
- News: Fight spam with SpamProbe (2 May 2003)
- News: Virginia threatens spammers with jail (1 May 2003)
- News: Go hunting for spammers (30 April 2003)
- News: Rise of the spam zombies (28 April 2003)
- News: Antispam activist claims court victory (9 April 2003)
- Article: Iraq Dragged Into The Infamous 419 Scam (7 April 2003)
- News: Spam pips viruses as biggest web problem (4 April 2003)
- Article: Spam Checklist - April Fool's Day is Approaching (27 March 2003)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: Mail Abuse Prevention Organization stands up to giant Harris Interactive (4 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.