AOL spam filters go awry
Affected Comcast subscribers discovered the blocks as early as last Thursday, and they continued to report difficulties through early Monday afternoon. By late that afternoon, America Online had fixed the problem, but was unable to provide information as to its nature, said AOL spokesman Andrew Weinstein.
He added that technicians have been trying to isolate the issue and believe it could have been a case of mistakenly identifying legitimate Comcast e-mail as spam.
Comcast spokeswoman Sarah Eder said the company did not make any changes to its server or software configuration. She would not say how many Comcast subscribers were affected.
AOL commonly uses server-blocking tactics to thwart spammers. Large Internet service providers such as Comcast must register their e-mail server configurations to communicate with AOL. Often, AOL blocks servers originating from large ISPs if they fail to inform AOL of changes or additions to their e-mail servers.
[ Read more ]
- News: Corporate spam overtakes legitimate e-mail (3 June 2003)
- News: Spam tsunami (2 June 2003)
- News: Europe imports an American problem - spam (2 June 2003)
- News: Congress slams spam (23 May 2003)
- News: Microsoft and Symantec give Senate recipes for frying spam (22 May 2003)
- News: You've got spam (very likely from a hijacked computer) (21 May 2003)
- News: Testers angry over spam-blocking fees (21 May 2003)
- News: Feds prime new antispam weapon (16 May 2003)
- News: Spam attempts to scam Bank of America customers (14 May 2003)
- News: Before friday comes spamday (12 May 2003)
- News: EarthLink sues the 'Buffalo spammer' (8 May 2003)
- News: Is spam behind a cell-phone virus? (5 May 2003)
- News: Best way to stop spammers? Make them pay! (5 May 2003)
- News: Are blacklists killing more than spam? (2 May 2003)
- News: Fight spam with SpamProbe (2 May 2003)
- News: Virginia threatens spammers with jail (1 May 2003)
- News: Go hunting for spammers (30 April 2003)
- News: Rise of the spam zombies (28 April 2003)
- News: Antispam activist claims court victory (9 April 2003)
- Article: Iraq Dragged Into The Infamous 419 Scam (7 April 2003)
- News: Spam pips viruses as biggest web problem (4 April 2003)
- Article: Spam Checklist - April Fool's Day is Approaching (27 March 2003)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: Mail Abuse Prevention Organization stands up to giant Harris Interactive (4 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)