Corporate spam overtakes legitimate e-mail
The month of May marked the first time that commercial e-mail comprised 51 percent of all messages received by workers, according to MessageLabs, a provider of managed e-mail security services. MessageLabs only analyzed 133.9 million messages sent to its global network of business customers.
"The volume of spam now facing computer users every day has now far surpassed the point of being a nuisance and is now causing significant productivity losses and (information technology) costs at businesses across the world," MessageLabs Chief Technology Officer Mark Sunner said in a statement.
Internet service providers and lawmakers in recent months have considered a range of measures for reducing spam, including the use of new technology, industry self-regulation and legislation. But those efforts may not pay off for two or three years, executives say.
[ Read more ]
- News: Spam tsunami (2 June 2003)
- News: Europe imports an American problem - spam (2 June 2003)
- News: Congress slams spam (23 May 2003)
- News: Microsoft and Symantec give Senate recipes for frying spam (22 May 2003)
- News: You've got spam (very likely from a hijacked computer) (21 May 2003)
- News: Testers angry over spam-blocking fees (21 May 2003)
- News: Feds prime new antispam weapon (16 May 2003)
- News: Spam attempts to scam Bank of America customers (14 May 2003)
- News: Before friday comes spamday (12 May 2003)
- News: EarthLink sues the 'Buffalo spammer' (8 May 2003)
- News: Is spam behind a cell-phone virus? (5 May 2003)
- News: Best way to stop spammers? Make them pay! (5 May 2003)
- News: Are blacklists killing more than spam? (2 May 2003)
- News: Fight spam with SpamProbe (2 May 2003)
- News: Virginia threatens spammers with jail (1 May 2003)
- News: Go hunting for spammers (30 April 2003)
- News: Rise of the spam zombies (28 April 2003)
- News: Antispam activist claims court victory (9 April 2003)
- Article: Iraq Dragged Into The Infamous 419 Scam (7 April 2003)
- News: Spam pips viruses as biggest web problem (4 April 2003)
- Article: Spam Checklist - April Fool's Day is Approaching (27 March 2003)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: Mail Abuse Prevention Organization stands up to giant Harris Interactive (4 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.