You think the dozen or two spam e-mails you delete every day are a lot?
That's nothing to Paul Judge, chief technology officer of CipherTrust, an Alpharetta, Ga., company that sells e-mail filtering technology to major U.S. firms. Judge's customers discard billions of unwanted e-mail messages every day.
But it's not enough. Spam is out of control. The flood of other junk e-mail is rising at a rate of 15 percent a month. Around half of all Internet mail sent this year will be unwanted advertisements, according to Brightmail Inc., a California e-mail filtering company.
Cleaning this rubbish out of corporate mailboxes will cost American businesses $10 billion this year in lost productivity and extra computer expense, according to Ferris Research, an e-mail technology research firm in California.
[ Read more ]
- News: Europe imports an American problem - spam (2 June 2003)
- News: Congress slams spam (23 May 2003)
- News: Microsoft and Symantec give Senate recipes for frying spam (22 May 2003)
- News: You've got spam (very likely from a hijacked computer) (21 May 2003)
- News: Testers angry over spam-blocking fees (21 May 2003)
- News: Feds prime new antispam weapon (16 May 2003)
- News: Spam attempts to scam Bank of America customers (14 May 2003)
- News: Before friday comes spamday (12 May 2003)
- News: EarthLink sues the 'Buffalo spammer' (8 May 2003)
- News: Is spam behind a cell-phone virus? (5 May 2003)
- News: Best way to stop spammers? Make them pay! (5 May 2003)
- News: Are blacklists killing more than spam? (2 May 2003)
- News: Fight spam with SpamProbe (2 May 2003)
- News: Virginia threatens spammers with jail (1 May 2003)
- News: Go hunting for spammers (30 April 2003)
- News: Rise of the spam zombies (28 April 2003)
- News: Antispam activist claims court victory (9 April 2003)
- Article: Iraq Dragged Into The Infamous 419 Scam (7 April 2003)
- News: Spam pips viruses as biggest web problem (4 April 2003)
- Article: Spam Checklist - April Fool's Day is Approaching (27 March 2003)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: Mail Abuse Prevention Organization stands up to giant Harris Interactive (4 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)