Geeky legal beagles nail spammers
A battalion of lawyer geeks is taking on spam, spyware, security screw-ups, incomprehensible software licenses, useless privacy policies and many other ills plaguing computer users. The charge is being led by New York state's Attorney General Eliot Spitzer.
Spitzer and the lawyers that staff the attorney general's Internet bureau think crime isn't any less prosecutable just because it happens online.
They're fighting spammers by charging them with fraud and slapping down companies that don't live up to their privacy policies. They're also contesting the validity of the lengthy, legalese-packed software licenses that users have to click OK and agree to before applications will install.
Spitzer and crew even think that bad website security is a crime punishable by law.
"Elliot Spitzer is constantly educating himself on new technology," said Edward Hayes, a Manhattan lawyer who worked with Spitzer on a case about the disbursement of funds for victims of the Sept. 11 terror attacks. "And he uses what he learns to take quick action against any schemes intended to rip off the public."
[ Read more ]
- News: Congress slams spam (23 May 2003)
- News: Microsoft and Symantec give Senate recipes for frying spam (22 May 2003)
- News: You've got spam (very likely from a hijacked computer) (21 May 2003)
- News: Testers angry over spam-blocking fees (21 May 2003)
- News: Feds prime new antispam weapon (16 May 2003)
- News: Spam attempts to scam Bank of America customers (14 May 2003)
- News: Before friday comes spamday (12 May 2003)
- News: EarthLink sues the 'Buffalo spammer' (8 May 2003)
- News: Is spam behind a cell-phone virus? (5 May 2003)
- News: Best way to stop spammers? Make them pay! (5 May 2003)
- News: Are blacklists killing more than spam? (2 May 2003)
- News: Fight spam with SpamProbe (2 May 2003)
- News: Virginia threatens spammers with jail (1 May 2003)
- News: Go hunting for spammers (30 April 2003)
- News: Rise of the spam zombies (28 April 2003)
- News: Antispam activist claims court victory (9 April 2003)
- Article: Iraq Dragged Into The Infamous 419 Scam (7 April 2003)
- News: Spam pips viruses as biggest web problem (4 April 2003)
- Article: Spam Checklist - April Fool's Day is Approaching (27 March 2003)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: Mail Abuse Prevention Organization stands up to giant Harris Interactive (4 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)