Theo de Raadt: Hackathon will go on

Thursday, 24 April 2003, 12:45 PM EST

Theo de Raadt, project leader for OpenBSD, says he will go ahead with plans to hold a "hackathon" for participants in an open-source project, despite a decision by the U.S. military's civilian research arm to yank funding for the event.

Theo de Raadt said he intends to seek donations or pay himself, to rent space for the gathering, in which coders detect and create fixes for security holes.

The hackathon will go on," de Raadt said. "There's no way I'll be taking 60 people's personal flights and wasting them."

The event, expected to draw close to 60 programmers from several countries, was scheduled to begin May 8 in Calgary, Alberta, where de Raadt lives.

But plans for the gathering were put on hold last week after de Raadt's research colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania received a notice from the agency funding the project to stop work.

[ Read more ]

Related items




Spotlight

Most popular Android apps open users to MITM attacks

Posted on 21 August 2014.  |  An analysis of the 1,000 most popular free Android apps from the Google Play store has revealed a depressing fact: most of them sport an SSL/TLS vulnerability that can be misused for executing MITM attacks, and occasionally additional ones, as well.


Weekly newsletter

Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
  



Daily digest

Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.
  

DON'T
MISS

Thu, Aug 21st
    COPYRIGHT 1998-2014 BY HELP NET SECURITY.   // READ OUR PRIVACY POLICY // ABOUT US // ADVERTISE //