Why Kevin Mitnick Worries Me
Things are looking good for Kevin Mitnick. In 2000, he completed a five-year prison term for computer crimes; this January, 39-year-old Mitnick will have his probation restrictions lifted. So Mitnick, probably the world's most notorious hacker, is on the verge of once again being free to use his computer.
And that's just the start. He has a new book out, The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security. He has launched his own corporate security company, Defensive Thinking (he presumably knows more about this subject than most, but after so many years locked up, isn't he rusty?)
He just got his ham radio license back, and he'll be making extra cash by auctioning off his PCs that were seized as evidence. He's also negotiating with Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey to co-produce computer security training films. In short, he looks like one happy (former) hacker.
[ Read more ]
- News: Questions + Answers: Kevin Mitnick (31 October 2002)
- News: Freed hacker Mitnick debunks myths (16 October 2002)
- News: The book on Mitnick is by Mitnick (4 October 2002)
- News: Kevin Mitnick hawking historic laptops, book (3 October 2002)
- News: Companies exposed to ‘social engineers’ (5 September 2002)
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.