Common misconceptions about ARP cache poisoning
This article discusses a few misconceptions about ARP cache poisoning, even from people who know what ARP cache poisoning is and (more or less) how it works.
1. You need very advanced and complicated tools to perform ARP cache poisoning
2. ARP cache poisoning only works against hosts of specific operating systems (OS)
3. You can use ARP cache poisoning against hosts on the same LAN only, therefore you can only sniff on connections where the two endpoints of the communication are sitting in the same LAN as you.
4. An ARP cache poisoning attack would immediately be detected because it would disrupt all or at least some communications in the LAN
5. Some switches hung when you send one of those fake ARP replies through.
At the RaDaJo blog.
[ Read more ]
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.