China prevented repeat cyber attack on US
The Defense Department was braced for a new onslaught of cyber attacks from Chinese hackers in May 2002 but they never materialized: the Chinese government asked private hackers not to repeat the 2001 defacement of U.S. government Web sites, a top Defense Department official said Tuesday.
"We expected another series of attacks from Chinese hackers, but actually the government of China asked them not to do that," said Air Force Maj. Gen. John Bradley, deputy commander of the Pentagon's Joint Task Force on Computer Network Operations, at an electronic warfare conference Tuesday.
"I wouldn't call it state-sponsored, but state-controlled, I guess," he said at the Annual Association of Old Crows conference being held in Nashville.
[ Read more ]
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.