Cyber-terrorism still a threat
Computer users should not relax their guard just yet, with terrorist groups still suspected to be plotting cyber attacks a year after September 11.
Terrorism Research Centre director Mathew Devost warned complacent network operators who thought terrorist groups had abandoned attempts to hack critical infrastructure were leaving the door open to attack.
"It hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't a risk," he said. "It just means the variables haven't aligned to ensure a successful operation."
Mr Devost - whose company consults to a number of US corporate and government clients on physical and virtual counter-terrorist strategies - told a briefing at the US Consulate General in Sydney today that the September 11 attacks had made cyber terrorism more attractive to some groups.
[ Read more ]
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.