Spam and virus control?
On the one hand is high-volume spam, which is a deliberate marketing act; on the other is virus/worm infected e-mail, with its automated activity. Distinguishing between them is hard and this matters as solutions are different.
However, when I think I've got it tough, I spare some thought for the ISPs which are having to deal with them passing through their systems. ISPs are tackling this in different ways, raising issues about balances between "rights" and "duties" in our communications infrastructure.
The three providers I use for e-mail have taken quite different approaches to the issue. I use ATT only for e-mail when I'm travelling and get about two legitimate messages a month. Last year, ATT introduced a voluntary anti-spam service which automatically flags possible spam. This allowed easy filtering for deletion, but caught only about 50 percent of the spam. It recently added the option of online storage of suspect material you log in to check and delete unwanted email. In one month, more than 1MB of spam was held, this on top of the 50 e-mails per day that it doesn't catch.
[ Read more ]
- Software: Xyria:DNSd
- Software: Mail Snoop Pro
- News: SpamShield: a perl-based spam filter for sendmail (16 September 2002)
- News: Spam crackdown urged (5 September 2002)
- News: Spam hits 36 percent of e-mail traffic (30 August 2002)
- News: Haiku'da been a spam filter (20 August 2002)
- News: Lock spam and viruses out of Sendmail (12 July 2002)
- News: How one spam leads to another (4 July 2002)
- News: Nigeria hoax spawns copycats (18 June 2002)
- News: The solution to spam - reverse filtering (12 June 2002)
- News: Anti-virus/anti-spam mail server setup using MailScanner (7 June 2002)
- News: Secure your network against viruses and spam (30 May 2002)
- News: Six arrested over 'Nigerian email' frauds (23 May 2002)
- News: Europe to let nations decide on financial spam (17 May 2002)
- Article: Spam Wars - Rise of the Spam (16 May 2002)
- News: Cutting spam at a cost (10 May 2002)
- News: MAPS sues its own anti-spam guru (9 May 2002)
- Article: Spam: The problems with junk e-mail (8 April 2002)
- Article: The six headed spam monster (1 April 2002)
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.