For the first time, hackers are capitalizing on the top news stories from Google Trends Labs, which lists the dayís most frequently searched topics, which can include news of the Wall St. bail out or the presidential campaign. These highly relevant news stories and videos are being posted to the hackersí fake blogs to increase the siteís Google search rankings.
These fraudulent blogs contain several video links about the news story for which the users were originally searching. Once a user clicks on one of the video links, they are prompted to download a video codec that downloads a rogue antispyware program designed to goad the user into purchasing an illegitimate program that may put their personal information and data at even greater risk.
Webroot recommends several steps to users to prevent this type of malware attack:
- Always have a current version of antispyware, antivirus and firewall product;
- Never download free product or purchase them from unknown Web sites and vendors, or peer-to-peer networks;
- Download videos and other multimedia files only from known and trusted Web sites or blogs;
- Make sure the computer is up-to-date by always installing the latest Microsoft or Apple security updates; and,
- Use a credit card that has sufficient fraud protection when shopping and never use a debit card online.
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.