- By 2010, nearly 27 million Europeans will become new remote workers, or "e-Workers", according to the EU's Emergence Project
- The UK will have the largest number. By 2005, in the UK, homeworkers will top 8 million. In 2001, there were 2.2m.
- Worker productivity can increase by up to 40% through remote-working
- A person working 1 or 2 days a week at home can save a company £3500- £7,000 a year through lower turnover, reduced office space, and improved productivity
- Savings on lunches, wear and tear on a car, and clothing can amount to £600 a year savings for employees, as well as reduced stress and an increased sense of freedom.
- And in these days when more flexible working and improved technology means higher expectations, your more flexible staff, working remotely, mean companies can now offer 24 x 7 customer services. Your enquiry can just as easily be replied to by someone working from home.
- Change in the tools available for work, primarily VPN technology
- Change in lifestyle, because people only work to live, not live to work
- Change in attitudes - by employers, employees, and governments
Companies benefit by having a secure "data tunnel" through which their encrypted communications are sent. They offer a window on the files and applications you would use in the office. You can use your Web browser to open the files you would normally be able to access, amend and print documents, check your email and diary, and update databases. From a company's viewpoint, the SSL technology also enables it to ensure that no one gets to files or programs they shouldn't. In fact, the technology is so versatile that companies can even use it as a secure gateway to authenticate all of their employees - including office workers - before they gain access to applications and data.
SSL VPNS offer:
- Fast access
- They are easy to use
- Accessible from anywhere
- Simple and quick to deploy, yet, most importantly, are
- Highly secure, offering 128-bit encrypted access to remote workers
- Costs up to 40% lower than previously available VPN remote access technology
- Simple support issues can take just 5 minutes to cure, not two hours to endure.
- Ability to safeguard access to the business network for all employees, not just remote workers
1. The technology is available now, it works, and is easy to deploy
2. Businesses need secure remote access
3. Analysts have recognised SSL VPNs' market value
4. Key vendors are jockeying to guarantee their future
5. It can help secure an organization's entire enterprise, not just mobile users
6. Services such as coffee shops see themselves supporting mobile customers
6. Employers know time spent commuting is wasted time
7. Employees want work to suit their own commitments
8. Remote working has Government support through legislation
9. Widespread, cheaper Broadband access is now available
10. The need for corporate data security never goes away
Mobile-enabled workers are the future, and SSL VPN networks offer them a secure, straight, simple access route to their data. With a majority of companies still looking to gain a key, competitive edge by empowering their workers, but with security still a management worry, you can expect the SSL VPN market to continue to bubble: for remote users, SSL VPN vendors, and investors alike.
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.