- Isolate the telecommuter connection - where the teleworker unit is on a shared network at home it should not be possible for the VPN tunnel to be accessible to anyone else on the home network
- Enforce network protection at the telecommuter site - companies should consider giving teleworkers security levels at home that comply with the basic minimum corporate standards thereby enforcing a multi-layered defense mechanism that incorporates firewall, anti-virus, content filtering and authentication
- Scale the telecommuting network infrastructure - the majority of enterprises will require VPN connections with many different users so it is important that the solution should be scalable to allow security measures to be deployed rapidly via a web browser
- Manage telecommuting security policies - any solution must be capable of being managed remotely by the companyís service professionals so that the VPN links remain in full control of the organisation at all times
- Perform stateful inspection - where malicious attacks are detected at the application layer rather than at operating system level
- Comply with standards - IPSec, ICSA certification and PKI
Reading our newsletter every Monday will keep you up-to-date with security news.
Receive a daily digest of the latest security news.