- Jamming (Denial of Service)
- Cracking (Deciphering and Cryptoanalysis)
- Sniffing (Breach of confidentiality through interception)
- Injecting (Insertion of false data)
- Masquerading (Impersonation)
- Rogue point or AP (Unauthorized access point insertion)
To close the presentation, we were presented with some interesting facts:
- Typically only 40% of APs have WEP enabled (based on statistics gathered during war driving initiatives)
- Using 21db Yagi directional antenna ranges of up to 14 km can be achieved for WLAN sniffing.
For all your wireless security information needs, visit the Wireless outside articles section of HNS. If you're interested in software titles, here are some of the most popular:
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.