Remember, the ultimate SIEM goal is to help your existing teams to do more, be more reactive with their current resources and to enhance security. Now that’s well worth a little extra preparation.
Perfect SIEM Preparation: the crib sheet
- Establish a cross-department steering committee first, to ensure all parties are onside
- Build a security baseline: assess activities & risks, prioritise them, and how you’ll remediate
- Simplify the network before installing large management systems to shorten implementation time, reduce event numbers and raise input quality for SIEM
- Boost signal to noise ratios for reduced hardware load and fewer events
- Phase the roll-out
- People and procedures are vital for successful deployment.